- Ants are attracted to moisture, food, and warmth inside our homes.
- Ants are known carriers of pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, and dangerous organisms.
- Carpenter ants are one reason why ant infestations can cause significant property damage.
- To get rid of an ant infestation: use diatomaceous earth (DE), white vinegar mixed with essential oils, cinnamon or black pepper powder, talcum powder or baby powder, borax, chalk, or ant baits.
- To keep ants away from your house: seal all entrance points; clean regularly; store food properly; take out the garbage regularly; hire a professional if needed.
Have you ever walked into your kitchen and noticed an ant or two scurrying across the counter? It’s normal for homeowners to encounter this problem, especially during the warmer months. But why do ants come into our homes, and how can we eliminate these pesky ants? Let’s take a closer look at why home invaders are attracted to your abode and what you can do to keep them out.
Why Are There Ants in My House?
Ants are drawn to moisture, food, and warmth inside our homes. This means that ants will also be attracted if any of these elements exist indoors. Specifically, they are looking for water sources like leaking pipes, food crumbs on counters or floors, and warm temperatures that make nesting easier.
Once ants find a suitable spot in your home, they will leave a chemical trail so other worker ants can follow it back to the source—your pantry! This is why it’s important to act quickly when you spot a few ants; if you don’t take steps to prevent more from arriving, you could soon have an infestation on your hands.
Why Are Ants Considered Harmful to Health and Property?
Ants are known carriers of pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, and dangerous organisms. They are frequently seen scavenging for food near unclean sources. Ants bring up disease-causing bacteria and can transmit them in our meals.
Ants may cause significant property damage and disrupt your home’s hygiene. Carpenter ants are one reason. These ants are one of the most numerous types of ants on the planet, and they, like termites, can cause extensive property damage, especially to the wooden structures in your house.
How Can You Get Rid of An Ant Infestation?
01: Use Diatomaceous Earth (DE) (Silicon Dioxide)
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a silica dust composed of crushed, fossilized remnants of ancient aquatic creatures known as diatoms.
DE is not poison. It kills ants and other pests by sucking the oil from their bones and drying them out. Sprinkle DE powder everywhere you observe ants entering or traveling through your home to kill them.
02: White Vinegar
White vinegar acts as an ant repellant. Make a mixture with equal parts water and white vinegar. Shake thoroughly after adding a few drops of essential oil. This solution should be stored and sprinkled where the ants enter. Do this once a day. Again, while this method will not kill these ants, it will keep them from entering the no-entry zone. Spray it around your windowsills, doors, and other areas where ants are known to gather.
03: Essential Oils
The smell of any region is important in ant infestation. Certain fragrances are particularly repellent to ants and can be used to eliminate them. If you can spray some strong-smelling essential oils, such as eucalyptus, peppermint, neem, thyme oil, lemongrass oil, and tea tree oil, you will be one step ahead of the ants.
04: Cinnamon and Black Pepper Powder
Ants are choked by cinnamon. You may directly sprinkle cinnamon on them, spray cinnamon oil and water mixture on the anthill, or purchase a water mixture of peppermint, garlic, lavender, or cinnamon oil that works brilliantly by eradicating any access points. The above approach is also successful with easily accessible black pepper powder.
05: Talcum Powder or Baby Powder
Another recommendation from experts is to use baby powder in ant-infested regions. A simple technique to get rid of ants is to sprinkle baby powder in locations where they are present. They dislike talcum powder and crossing it since it may go on their bodies.
06: Use Borax
You may also use borax to get rid of these irritating sugar-loving critters. Borax can be hazardous to pets and humans, yet it successfully removes red ants from home.
When using borax, exercise extreme caution. Before handling borax, put on protective gloves. In a disposable container, combine half a spoonful of borax, ten spoons of sugar, and a full cup of warm water. To permanently eradicate ants, soak old rags of clothes or cotton in this combination and put them in ant-infested areas. Throw away the container once you’ve finished.
Calcium carbonate is found in chalk. When applied in a thick line, calcium carbonate can confound an ant’s smell track, making it more difficult to catch up with the scent of other ants and confuse the pests.
For the greatest effects, draw a thick, heavy line of chalk around the areas you want to preserve, such as a picnic table or grill.
08: Ant Baits
Ant baits are small, covered pods placed in regions where ants have been seen. The pods contain poison that the ants may reach and bring back to their nest. The poison kills the ants in the colony when they swallow it.
How Can You Keep Ants Out of Your Home?
- All entrance points must be sealed. Seal any gaps or exposed crevices in doors and windows with caulk.
- Keep the sweets hidden. The most likely invaders are black garden ants (interesting fact: they’re dark brown!). Food, especially honey, maple syrup, and sugar, should be stored in airtight containers or securely wrapped in foil or plastic.
- Perform your duties. Clean crumbs off counters, floors, cabinets, and pantries regularly. Keep your pet’s food properly stored between feedings and clean pet dishes regularly.
- Take out the garbage. Make sure trash cans are covered (particularly in the kitchen!), and examine the can for any residue left after you take out the rubbish.
Call A Professional!
If a handful of ants grows into an army and you’ve done everything, you may have an infestation. Hire a professional to check your house. They are capable of identifying ant species and properly exterminating them.
Classic Pest Control Operators, Inc. serving Springtown, TX, provides complete pest control services guaranteed to eliminate any pests in your home. We have over 18 years of industry expertise, so you can be sure you’re safe.